Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Matthias Karl Georg Meise

Matthias Karl Georg Meise, 37, passed away on Tuesday, March 31, 2009. Matthias was born in Bonn, Germany, on June 2, 1971, to Gerhard and Margaret (nee: Gerlach) Meise. He was united in marriage to Robin Raether, on December 27, 2000, in Bonn, Germany. Robin and Matthias returned to Wisconsin in the summer of 2001.

Matthias attended Beethoven Gymnasium High School in Bonn, Germany, graduating in 1990. His post-graduate studies were Uni Bonn, class of 1995, and Uni Koeln, class of 1999, attaining a Master’s Degree in Arts and Classics. Matthias received his teaching certification at Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisconsin. He served in the German Army for one year, specializing in driving tanks.

Matthias was employed with the Racine Unified Schools since 2001 at Park High School and McKinley Middle School where he taught German and history. Matthias loved classical music, world history, movies, traveling, operas, theatre, telling jokes, teaching German and visiting the Racine beach. He was a loving husband, father, son, son-in-law and friend.

Matthias is survived by his wife, Robin Meise; two sons, Philip, age 3, and Theodor, age 1, all of Racine; parents, Gerhard and Margaret Meise, brother, Michael Meise, and sister, Maria Meise, all of Bonn, Germany. Matthias is further survived by his step-grandmother, Caesilia Hampe-Meise of Ochtrup, Germany; aunts, uncles, cousins, and many dear friends and colleagues throughout the United States and Germany. He was preceded in death by his paternal and maternal grandparents.

Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, April 8, 2009, at Sturino Funeral Home, with Rev. Henry Maibush officiating. Relatives and friends may visit with the family at the funeral home on Wednesday, from 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., with service to follow. In keeping with the family's wishes, private burial will be held. In lieu of flowers, donations to the family can be sent to Educators Credit Union, 1400 N. Newman Rd. Racine, Wisconsin 53406.

Sturino Funeral Home
3014 Northwestern Ave., Racine 262 632-4479

4 comments:

fatal mixture said...

He was my teacher at Park High School in 2001-2002 for German 1. He would always say how we were his first class in America and we were his favorite students.. He was an amazing teacher and I would occassionally keep in contact with him thru the years.

My fondest memories were his Haribo fridays were he would bring us Haribo gummi bears. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. May he RIP.

Unknown said...

I was his student in German all four years of high school. He was definitely one of my favorite teachers, and in fact the only teacher I visited at Park when I came home from bootcamp.

So many great times in his class transpired. I would always look forward to German class; usually it was at the end of the day. And some classes would just drag on and then finally German would come. And there was always laughter and fun going on. I don't think I saw a single day go by without a smile on Herr Meise's face.

On a personal note, He gave me something that I really didn't realize fully until recently. I learned that I love to learn languages from him. With the way he taught class and always made it interesting, I just loved it. And today I'm in the Military studying Arabic. I would not be here if I would not had my experience in his German class, because just months before bootcamp I was fully decided to go into a different field. But then I discovered languages in the military and here I am; and I owe a lot of it to Herr Meise.

He was a great teacher and a great friend. He will be missed, we have lost a great friend, and RUSD has lost an amazing teacher.

R.I.P.

Unknown said...

Sorry, we miss him, rip

Anonymous said...

To this day I still think of him and in some way feel responsible for his passing. Though I was young, I can remember (by no fault of his) not doing well in his class. Foreign language wasn't my strong suit and I didn't take school as seriously as I should. I remember by parents coming in during conferences and scolding him, as if it was his fault I wasn't getting the material. I regret not stepping in and sticking up for him. As he never gave up on me. Taught me after class, gave me the extra time I needed and was fair with the C grading. Despite the upset and emotion he never took it out on me and was as kind and generous as any other human could be in his position. He will forever live on in my memory as he has positively influence my life and my classmates a great deal.