Sunday, November 30, 2008

Elmer Hugh Beatty

Fayetteville, NC - Elmer Hugh Beatty, 74, born April 25, 1934, in Lowry City, MO, the son of Harry Hugh Beatty and Rosa Elizabeth(Burdick) Fritchen-Beatty.

Before his passing, this is Elmer’s dictation: My basic training was at St. John Nepomuk School in Racine, Wisconsin. I graduated in 1949. I continued my education at St. Catherine’s High School. I left high school at age 17 and joined the Marine Corps where I served in the Korean War; from there I returned to high school under the G.I. Bill and received my diploma in 1955. I then returned to my soldiering career, joining the U.S. Air Force and was trained as a jet engine mechanic.

There were dance studios near the bases and I was able to continue my dance lessons. Due to health reasons it was necessary for me to leave the Air Force. I went to Arthur Murray's and completed my dance lessons. Being armed with my bronze trophy, I taught in the Wisconsin area for Arthur Murray. I went to Walker Manufacturing and was given a job in the mail room. I soon transferred to an office position where I worked until my job was eliminated by IBM. I then took a job at American Motors Corporation, where I worked as a shop steward in Department 838. During the change over/layoff I used my training received in the Marine Corps as a Radio Operator and landed a job with Halicrafters as a calibration lab technician until family health reasons relocated me to Phoenix, Arizona. My training as a jet engine mechanic landed me a job at Air-Research in the overhaul and repair department; from there I went to Todd Shipyards in Seattle, Washington, while managing an apartment complex. An injury at the shipyard left me disabled, and I returned to Racine to live with my brother. Upon my brother's passing I returned to Phoenix and spent the last five years happily helping at the Manzanita Senior Center. Being stricken with cancer I went to live with my son, Edward, in North Carolina to spend my remaining days with family and especially my newest grandson, Little Zack.

Elmer passed away on November 30, 2008, and went to his rewards.

Services for Elmer will be held at the Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery Chapel in Union Grove on Friday, December 5, 2008, at noon with full military honors. Interment will follow. For those who wish to join with the family in procession to the cemetery, we ask that you meet at the funeral home on Friday morning at 10:30 a.m.

Purath-Strand Funeral Home & Crematory
3915 Douglas Ave., Racine (262) 639-8000

No comments: